The Global Community Ministry (GCM) is concerned with matters related to missions and outreach of NCC. This includes, but is not limited to, local and global missions, justice issues, outreach,
The GCM focus:
- Local, national, and international missions and outreach
- Public relations
- Promotion of Diversity
- Service trips
- Cornerstone Thrift Center
- Human Services
- Hospitality Hall & food pantries
- Christmas gifting programs (Newtown fund, children in hospital, etc...)
The groups within the Global Community Ministry of Newtown Congregational Church are varied and numerous, as we view ourselves as the hands and feet of God on earth.
Our NCC Global Community Ministry has reference resources available for assitance, but we have limited funds to
assist our neighbors in need. However in the case of extreme and immediate need, the ministry is able to assist through community awareness and special fundraising events.
ORGANIZATIONS AND MISSIONS NCC SUPPORTS:
- United Church of Christ (UCC) - Basic Support and special offerings (Neighbors in Need, Strengthen the Church, One Great Hour of Sharing, and The Christmas Fund)
Silver Lake Conference Center - A UCC faith enrichment camp.
Give2 - Give 2 is a program of the UCC... "We give our time and labor in the service of others, and in return we are blessed with gifts of gratitude,
compassion, and wisdom. Our gifts of hospitality multipy exponentially when we work together to heal the world!"
Equal Exchange Fair Trade Coffee program.
- Church World Service (CWS)
Blanket & Tools program - Emergency needs program.
C.R.O.P Hunger Walks - "Ending Hunger One Step At A Time".
Emergnecy Relief Buckets - For victims of hurricanes and other disasters.
- Ability Beyond - NCC women's Circle of Hope fellowship supports this organization.
- Back Bay Mission (Biloxi, Mississippi) - a UCC ministry of home repair and support.
- Bridgeport Rescue Mission - "Fighting poverty from the inside out". NCC gives clothing and blankets. Also donation of turkeys for
their Thanksgiving turkey drive.
- Dress a Girl Around the World (DAG) - sewing & creating clothes for children so they will know they are worthy of respect and loved by
- Elon Home for Children - NCC women's Circle of Hope fellowship supports this organization.
- Families United in Newtown - Support for people with Autism.
- Feed the Children - NCC Men's Group promotes this organization.
- Friends of Kakamega - helping children in a Kenyan orphanage. http://www.friendsofkakamega.org/
- Home Front - Home repair for local residents.
- Hospitality Hall - food & toiletries pantry in NCC lower lobby to aid local residents in need.
- Interfaith Refugee Resettlement Program (IRIS) - An ecumenical effort to help settle refugees into the Danbury area.
- Jane Doe No More (JDNM) - Their mission is prevention of sexual violence through education.
- Mothers United Against Violence - Advocates for & assists victims of violent crime in Hartford.
- Newtown Fund - Christmas gift donation program.
- Newtown Youth and Family Services.
- Regional Hopsice - Annual Breakfast fundraiser. NCC sponsors one table and fills it with individuals interested in giving
- Resiliency Center of Newtown.
- Salavation Army - Food Pantry (Newtown)
- Simply Smiles - South Dakota Sioux reservation and Oaxaca, Mexico.
- St. Martin De Porres Academy - Books and musical instruments.
- Women's Center (Danbury) - NCC women's Circle of Hope fellowship supports this organization.
The Cornerstone Thrift Center Beneficiaries:
In addition to fulfilling its annual monetary commitment to the NCC budget (well over a half million dollars over the years), the
Cornerstone regularly makes material contributions to various entities in the wider community. These include the following:
- Back Bay Mission in Biloxi, MS: clothing and backpacks.
- Bridgeport Rescue Mission: clothing (especially winter outerwear) and blankets.
- Cyrenius H. Booth Library: gowns for display of historical wedding wear.
- Danbury Military Museum: vintage uniforms and items.
- Department of Children and Family Services: emergency requests.
- Dress a Girl Around the World: material and sewing items.
- Eagles Wings Foundation Orphanage in Mexico: infant and children’s clothing.
- Fire Victims: clothing and/or household items as needed.
- Friends of the Booth Library: books for their annual book sale.
- Inner City Middle School: clothing items.
- Interfaith Partnership for Refugee Resettlement: clothing and household items.
- Kakamega Orphanage in Kenya: fabric grocery bags.
- Local theater groups: props and clothing for costumes.
- Mothers United Against Violence (Hartford): winter coats, business wear.
- NEWS (Newtown Ecumenical WorkCamp Servants) youth mission trips: monetary support and work clothes.
- Newtown Animal Shelter and local veterinarians: old towels.
- Newtown Florist: common vases.
- Newtown Social Services: clothing and/or household necessities; and new clothing for Christmas baskets.
- Save-A-Suit in Bethel (for veterans): business wear.
- St. Martin de Porres School: musical items and books.
- Wilbur Cross Middle School: khaki and navy blue trousers and collared shirts.
There are also many unknown ministries and outreach endeavors by individuals of our congregation who seek to follow the guidance of Christ as he said: "when you
give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.
But when you give to the needy, do not let you left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward
you." (Matthew 6:2-3)
Some of the organizations our members are involved with outside of NCC:
- Bridgeport Rescue Mission
- Dorothy Day Hospitality House (Danbury)
- FAITH Food Pantry (Newtown)
- FISH - Providing rides to individuals for local doctors and hospital visits.
- Lion's Club.
- Literacy Volunteers of America (Danbury) - Assist adults with reading.
- Meals on Wheels - Delivering meals to homebound individuals in the Newtown area.
- Relay for Life - Raising funds for cancer research.
- Special Olympics.
- Visiting Nurses Association.